SATArchive

Status: Finished

Date: October 2020 - January 2021

Tools: Microsoft Azure, 3D Paint, WordPress, Elementor, Yoast, Google Analytics, Forminator

As notorious as they are, the SAT, PSAT, and the various subject tests administered by College Board are a dreaded rite of passage for many students, including me. It’s a time of overpriced prep classes coupled with stacks of Princeton Review SAT prep books. That all comes at a hefty cost, so I wanted to create a way for students to score well on the exams without unneeded spending of money. 

I created SAT Archive while studying for my first SAT, compiling dozens of past exams and other study resources into one, organized and easily accessible platform hosted on an Azure App Service with MySQL. Ease of access was by far one of my top priorities, so I pursued a simple, navigable, but clean design. This involved going for a dark mode theme, as I imagined that students, being people who go through countless eye-straining activities on the daily, would greatly appreciate that. 

I also wanted the home page to be as minimal as possible, making it so that users wouldn’t be overwhelmed on their first visit. Thus, I decided to color-code each one of the 3 types of tests I offered resources for–the SAT, SAT Subs, and the PSAT–with very pastel-ly and neutral colors that fit well on a dark canvas. A round-gridded theme with big, conspicuous buttons also fitted nicely in my imagined theme.  I also made a quick sketch of an owl that would become SATArchive’s signature logo using 3D Paint, incorporating all 3 colors of my palette.

Once the user clicked on one of the large buttons, they would be presented with a chronologically ordered accordion of tabs, which I thought would allow for maximum organization of a lot of resources. This involved a lot of tedious work to set up, as I had to go through the pain of compiling all the resources, which sometimes came from obscure places, then cataloging them in each tab. 

Due to the very painstaking process of this project, I didn’t trust myself to have organized everything completely correctly. Thus, I went to my old friend Forminator and set up a “Report a Problem” form so users could easily let me know if there was something wrong. This proved to be a smart move, as I received several reports of issues, which I promptly fixed.

Even though this project was complicated in its development, I felt like the product was quite rewarding, both to me and other students, who I helped obtain 1500+ scores using SATArchive. I am especially proud of this project, and will keep updating the database when I can.